You are currently not logged in. If you wish to post a comment, please first log in.

Display Order:

Click here to read all threads in this forum.

Feeding your dog raisins can be lethal2008-01-15 13:05:27staff


Circulating on the web is the true report from a vetinarian at the Danville Veterinary Clinic in Danville, Ohio. She reports having the first case of raisin toxicity ever seen by her group when she examined a 56-pound, 5 year old male neutered lab mix that had eaten half a canister of raisins. His initial symptims were vomiting, diarrhea and shaking not immediately reported by his owner. After contacting the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center she was told to administer IV fluids at 1 1/2 times maintainance and had to watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours. The dog's blood urea nitrogen level initially was found to be 5 points over normal and the creatinine level was more than 3 points over the high end of normal. A second check showed these levels had risen dramatically. Overnight care was continued at MedVet where the dog's symptoms worsened in spite of treatment. These owners while fond of their dog had no idea how toxic giving him raisins (or grapes) could be. Poison control wants to alert dog owners that administering as few as seven raisins could be toxic and lead to renal failure.