You are currently not logged in. If you wish to post a comment, please first log in.

Display Order:

Click here to read all threads in this forum.

Intent vs Perceptions2006-07-16 11:33:05mambo


Today we have a society of images, scrolls and short attention spans. Zogby and Pugh polls indicate approximately 70% of the population recieves the majority of their news from TV. So now we are down to the remaining 30% who take the time to look at printed word media, whether on-line or hardcopy, but they have to be infuenced by image media. The intent of the article is undeniable but the images, with their subliminal message, were pictures of majority men as strong father/leaders on the issue. Women were minimally represented in the story. With people fast forwarding through data these days the attention is first drawn to images. Images make powerful statements. Then the main points of the article are digested with some actually reading through the entire piece. I guess I was expecting more images and commentary from the people most affected by this issue. As examples on this very site, I still retain the vivid images of murky green water, a multitude/diversity of citizen images and a chicken hanging off the end of a conveyor belt. The stories then follow those powerful images. Keep up the good work. Clearly we encourage women to speak up on the issue of pro life vs. pro choice. Life Choices of Joplin does have women on staff who obviously support the philosophy of the center and needn\'t have been photographed. The article\'s intent was to bring to the attention of our readers a piece of legislation that purportedly represents the will of the people of the State of Missouri. The article quoted and showed pictures mainly of men concerned about the issue. The one women mentioned was a state rep and she said she only had a tiny part in some earlier wrangling over the issue at the local Joplin church level. Where are the women on the issue? Are they just property to be told what to do by men? You go to one of these centers and is seems the leaders and directors, as protrayed in the article are all men. How about a real world survey of the people most directly affected -- the women and young girls. --mambo--mariwinn


 
Where is the outcry, indeed!2006-07-14 12:00:32mariwinn


Clearly we encourage women to speak up on the issue of pro life vs. pro choice. Life Choices of Joplin does have women on staff who obviously support the philosophy of the center and needn't have been photographed. The article's intent was to bring to the attention of our readers a piece of legislation that purportedly represents the will of the people of the State of Missouri. The article quoted and showed pictures mainly of men concerned about the issue. The one women mentioned was a state rep and she said she only had a tiny part in some earlier wrangling over the issue at the local Joplin church level. Where are the women on the issue? Are they just property to be told what to do by men? You go to one of these centers and is seems the leaders and directors, as protrayed in the article are all men. How about a real world survey of the people most directly affected -- the women and young girls. --mambo


 
Where are the women on this?2006-07-13 10:48:00mambo


The article quoted and showed pictures mainly of men concerned about the issue. The one women mentioned was a state rep and she said she only had a tiny part in some earlier wrangling over the issue at the local Joplin church level. Where are the women on the issue? Are they just property to be told what to do by men? You go to one of these centers and is seems the leaders and directors, as protrayed in the article are all men. How about a real world survey of the people most directly affected -- the women and young girls.