From 2-7 p.m. on Friday, July 17, 2009 the agencies will be out in force along I-44 from the state line to mile marker 100 conducting a zero tolerance effort concentrating on speed and seatbelt enforcement.
Since January 1, 2009, we have had 68 crashes along I-44 within the city limits (13 injury, 55 property damage) most of which occurred on Friday and Saturday with speed being the number one probable contributing factor (35%), Sergeant Darren Gallup of the Joplin Police Department said.
The 2008 traffic count and accident numbers by county are (EB=eastbound, WB=westbound):
- Newton - volume=31,233/accidents=128; EB=76 (no fatalities), WB=52 (one fatal head on crash with two deaths
- Jasper - volume=33,787/accidents=208; EB=93 (one fatal rear end crash with two deaths), WB=115 (one fatal out of control accident)
- Lawrence - volume=26,611/accidents=140; EB=73 (no fatalities), WB=67 (three fatal accidents with two out of control and one rear end)
- Greene - volume=38,765/accidents=324; EB=148 (no fatalities), WB=176 (one fatal out of control accident)
- Webster - volume=28,001/accidents=166; EB=77 (no fatalities), WB=89 (no fatalities)