For renters who plan to stay a renter, the Salvation Army is an option for assistance. For a renter who plans to purchase or build a home available options include obtaining an FHA 203(h) mortgage or become involved in the MHDC-MoAID Homeowner Program. For homeowners needing assistance with repairs the Home Repair Opportunity Program (HOME), Mennonite Disaster Services, the Neighborhood Preservation Act and the Salvation Army will help. Single family owner-occupiers with incomes of $38,000 or less for a four person family, rebuilding on their own assistance may include an FHA 203(h) mortgage, Habitat for Humanity (check their income guidelines and residence requirements), HOME limited to $20,000 per participating household, the Mennonite Disaster Service, MHDC-MoAID
Homeowner Program, Neighborhood Preservation Act and Samaritan's Purse. For homeowners with incomes of $83,850 or less may seek help from an FHA 203(h) mortgage, the MHDC-MoAID Homeowner Program and the Neighborhood Preservation Act.
- For the FHA 203(h) mortgage: Arvest Bank, (417) 627-8000 or send an e-mail here; Bank of America, (417) 625-2581 or send an e-mail here; or Leader One Financial Corp., (816) 285-6677 or send an e-mail here.
- For Habitat for Humanity: Contact Scott Clayton at (417) 782-6533.
- For the HOME- Home Repair Opportunity Program (MHDC): Contact the Economic Security Council at (417) 781-0352 or the Harry S. Truman Coordinating Council at (417) 649-6400.
- For the Mennonite Disaster Services: Contact the Joplin Long Term Recovery Committee at (800) 497-0822.
- For the MHDC-MoAID Homeowner Program: Contact Don Brinker at (816) 759-6814 or through any MHDC certified lender listed here.
- For the Neighborhood Preservation Act (deadline is October 15, 2011): Contact the Missouri Dept. of Economic Development at (573) 522-8005.
- For the Salvation Army: Contact Lt. James Curry at (417) 624-4528 after having registered with FEMA for disaster assistance.
- For Samaritan's Purse (c/o Forest Park Baptist Church): Contact Stephen Bergen by sending an e-mail here. Must have been an uninsured or under-insured property owner.
Additional information is provided by phoning the Tornado Assistance Information Hotline at (417) 627-2900.