|During the month of December the Joplin Police Department would like to remind everyone about traffic safety. During the holiday season there is more traffic on the roadways and therefore there is a greater potential for vehicle crashes to occur. We would like to remind everyone to be sure and plan ahead and to give yourself extra time to get to where you are going. We would also like to remind everyone to not be distracted while driving.
During 2011 the Joplin Police Department has worked three fatality crashes. Three fatalities is three too many and our goal is to complete the year with no more fatalities. We are asking the publicís assistance to accomplish this goal. Our second goal is to reduce the total number of crashes below 2,000. This is a reachable goal and again with the publicís assistance we can obtain this goal. Our third goal is to have an overall reduction in the number of injury crashes. We are currently on target to accomplish this goal but once again we need your help to make this a reality.
The Joplin Police Department would like to offer the following reminders about traffic safety:
- Buckle Up and Arrive Alive. Wearing your seatbelt properly greatly reduces your chances of becoming injured in a motor vehicle crash.
- Wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.
- The center turn lane is to be utilized for left turns only and is not a merge lane. [Pay attention to this one; disobeying this may get you a ticket.]
- Donít text and drive. Talking on cell phones and texting on cell phones creates a distraction to drivers and can lead to vehicle crashes.
- Allow plenty of distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
- Be aware of your surroundings. When making a lane change, remember to use your signal and look over your shoulder to make sure that nobody is in the lane that you are going to. Do not rely only on your mirrors.
- Watch out for motorcycles and other two wheeled vehicles. These vehicles are hard to see so make sure that you are aware of their presence.
- Have a designated driver. Buzzed driving is drunk driving. You Drink and Drive You Lose. Arrive Alive. The Statewide Holiday DWI Enforcement Campaign runs from December 5-11. The Joplin Police Department will be conducting extra enforcement during this time focusing on Impaired Driving; the National Impaired Driving Campaign runs from December 15, 2011 through January 2, 2012. The Joplin Police Department will be conducting extra enforcement during this time as well focusing on Impaired Driving.
Editor's note: Especially for out-of-towners, check a Joplin map before heading to the Northpark Mall. Range Line Road traffic already is heavy and will be a killer closer to Hanukah and/or Christmas. There are several alternative routes that allow drivers to avoid riding up and down Range Line.