Half of Joplin owners file for permits
December 27, 2011
As 2011 comes to a close and many begin to look forward to the New Year, Joplin has a reason to be hopeful. As of this week, 50% of property owners have secured permits to repair or rebuild homes that were damaged or destroyed by the May 22, EF-5 tornado.

"We are making remarkable progress in the rebuilding effort, and while I'd like to thank our partners at the state and national levels who have provided assistance, the spirit and determination of our residents has been the driving force in our recovery. The commitment they have made to staying and rebuilding in Joplin is inspiring," said Joplin City Manager Mark Rohr.

Rohr continued, "Since this tragedy, Joplin has shown the world what's possible when we lay personal agendas aside and focus on a singular task, working side-by-side with neighbors, volunteers, and other partners to make Joplin a model community in which to live, work and play."

Homeowners or owners of rental property who have not yet begun rebuilding or making repairs have a variety of resources available to help them get started. The city has published a list of programs and organizations on our website here offering help that residents can refer to if they need assistance with getting a mortgage loan, making repairs to their homes or need funding to help offset the costs of reconstruction.

The city is actively pursuing additional resources by working with new groups and organizations in an ongoing effort to bring these programs to Joplin, and we expect them to be added to the list soon. Residents are encouraged to visit the city's website or stay tuned to local news outlets as new resources become available.

Building permit must be obtained

The city of Joplin stresses that building and repair permits must be issued before the start of work to allow city inspectors to check that building codes are being followed. All permits also are reviewed for compliance with zoning, future traffic plans and floodplain guidelines. It should be noted that utility companies require compliance with the city permit/inspection process before they will hookup service.

Permits must be issued in person - either to a resident or contractor. Permit fees vary depending on the size of the structure. When obtaining a permit, be prepared to provide the following necessary information: a.) completed permit application; b.) survey plot or site plan; c.) construction plan showing wall sections and elevations.

If all required information is provided, repair or new construction permits may be issued by the building department in 24 to 48 hours. All contractors and sub-contractors must also be licensed in the city of Joplin, before a permit will be issued. For more information on building permits, contact the building division at (417) 624-0820, Ext. 521.

Go Back


You are currently not logged in. If you wish to post a comment, please first log in.

 ThreadAuthorViewsRepliesLast Post Date

No comments yet.