As Senate leader, Shields names all committees, appoints chairmen and members of the majority caucus to those committees. Shields said he worked with senators to review the roles of the committees and amend them to make sure they encompassed the issues that are important to improving the everyday lives of the people of Missouri.
"I believe we - Republicans and Democrats - must work together to address the emerging issues that affect our everyday lives," Shields said. "That is why I named a committee to be chaired by the Democrat leader. By working across party lines, the committees and, more importantly, the chairmen and chairwomen I have named, will be able to successfully advance quality
legislation that will benefit the people of Missouri."
The Senate committees and their chairmen are:
- Administration: Shields
- Agriculture, Food Production and Outdoor Resources: Dan Clemens (R-Marshfield)
- Appropriations: Gary Nodler (R-Joplin)
- Commerce, Consumer Protection, Energy and the Environment: Brad Lager (R-Maryville)
- Education: Rob Mayer (R-Dexter)
- Financial and Governmental Organizations and Elections: Delbert Scott (R-Lowry City)
- General Laws: Jack Goodman (R-Mt. Vernon)
- Governmental Accountability and Fiscal Oversight: Chuck Purgason (R-Caulfield)
- Gubernatorial Appointments: Shields
- Health, Mental Health, Seniors and Families: Norma Champion (R-Springfield)
- Jobs, Economic Development and Local Government: John Griesheimer (R-Washington)
- Judiciary and Civil and Criminal Jurisprudence: Matt Bartle (R-Lee's Summit)
- Progress and Development: Victor Callahan (D-Independence)
- Rules, Joint Rules, Resolutions and Ethics: Kevin Engler (R-Farmington)
- Small Business, Insurance and Industry: Scott T. Rupp (R-Wentzville)
- Transportation: Bill Stouffer (R-Napton)
- Veterans' Affairs and Pensions: Jason Crowell (R-Cape Girardeau)
- Ways and Means: Carl Vogel (R-Jefferson City)
A sentence in Senate Resolution 86 describes the committee assigned to the lone Democrat. It says, "The Committee on Progress and Development shall consider and report upon bills and matters referred to it concerning the changing or maintenance of issues relating to human welfare." The role of each of the other proposed committees is posted here.